Back care during Summer
The holiday festive season is near. People often prepare for this period with house cleaning, gardening and cooking. During this mad rush of activity, people forget to look after their backs and often end up at the physio!
Let’s look at some back care strategies that allow you to enjoy this festive period without pain.
Back Care Strategies
– Engage your legs and keep your back straight to bend. Bend at your hips and knees.
– Enlist help to move furniture or heavy and awkward objects
– Pace yourself when cooking and take breaks from prolonged standing and looking down.
– In the kitchen, take a break from tasks that involve constant stress on the neck and shoulders such as chopping, cleaning and stirring and lifting.
– Do some simple back , neck and shoulder exercises and stretches – see your physio
– Be sure to pace yourself in the garden and take breaks from prolonged bending positions such as weeding, raking and pruning.
– Take care in the garden with lifting. Ensure you use your legs and keep objects close to you.
– Avoid prolonged sitting during meals and picnics. Your muscles and discs do not enjoy being loaded in flexion for periods longer than 1hr.
– In all activities, protect your back by avoiding bending and twisting.